by: Jill Welch
1 whole chicken or 6 chicken thighs, with skin and bones
2-4 carrots, chopped
2-4 ribs celery with leaves, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp wakame flakes
5 cloves garlic, sliced
4 cloves garlic, grated or pressed
2 bay leaves
7 Roma tomatoes, pureed, or 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 cup fresh parsley chopped
Unrefined sea salt to taste
1 tbsp herbs de Provence
3 tbsp olive oil or butter
- Take bag with neck and liver out of chicken and rinse chicken and parts in bag.
- Put chicken and parts in a large soup pot with water to cover.
- If you have extra (not what is listed in the ingredient list) carrots, celery, garlic, onion, parsley and bay leaves, roughly chop and add to soup pot with chicken.
- Bring water to boil in pot then turn down to simmer and put lid on. Simmer for about 1 hour.
- While chicken is boiling, wash and chop all vegetables.
- When chicken is done, turn off heat and let cool.
- Strain chicken. Catch broth in bowl or other pot to save for soup.
- Pull chicken off the bone and set aside in a bowl. Discard skin, bones and veggies from stock.
- Add olive oil or butter to empty soup pot and put bay leaf and all veggies except tomatoes, parsley (add sliced garlic, but not grated). Sauté on medium heat until tender.
- Add stock, wakame, tomatoes, and chicken to soup pot. Bring to a boil then turn down very low and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Sauté parsley in little butter, then add herbs and salt to taste and add to the pot.
- Cook for another 15 minutes, add grated garlic, and adjust seasonings.